This recipe is a Spiralized (AKA, made with a Spiralzer), version of one of my favorite dishes from when I was living in Spain. Tortilla Espanola, or Spanish Tortilla, is similar to an omelette but with the potatoes mixed in with the eggs. What’s better than that? Further, it’s kind of a nice, lazy way to cook allowing for the least amount of dishes.
This time, I wanted to make a healthier, spiralized version. Why? Well, spiralizing veggies actually increases the amount of food you’re getting from just one veg. Pretty cool.
As far as healthier goes, sneaking the kale into the dish gives it the nutritional punch it needs without disrupting the flavor.
- Anti-inflammatory–Inflammation can cause weight gain and lead to illness.
- Fibrous–Helps maintain bowel regularity & lowers the risk of health problems.
- Calcium–Kale is packed with calcium which we know is great for our bones. Maybe milk isn’t the only thing that does a body good.
- Healthy Fats–This may seem surprising but kale offers 121 mg of omega 3 fatty acids & 92.4 mg of omega 6.
I adapted a recipe from the Inspiralized cookbook by Ali Maffucci using my last Russet Potato.
I hope you find it as easy to make and tasty to eat as I did.
What You’ll Need:
Spiralzer- I have the Inspiralizer but I’m sure any would do including hand spiralizers
Mixing bowl, spoon and tablespoons/teaspoons
Enough for 2 people to enjoy with seconds of course!
*Use all Organic ingredients if possible
3 leaves lacticino Kale, washed, stems removed, chopped or ripped
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 large, pastured eggs
half yellow onion, chopped
1 large Russet Potato peeled and cut in half
coconut oil for sautéing potato & greasing pan
salt and pepper
spinach for serving (optional)
- Preheat over to 250 degrees.
- Spiralize peeled potato on setting ‘C’ cutting strings along the way as needed. (Sometimes when Spirazling the strings stay attached and will create really long strings. If this happens, cut them as you spiralize with kitchen scissors.)
- Using 1-2 tablespoons coco oil, fry onions until fragrant. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, use 1-2 tbls. coco oil and fry potato along with garlic powder and s&p for 8 minutes tossing occasionally to brown. Once done, put onions back into the pan.
- Mixed washed kale with oil, salt, lemon juice and massage and let sit. (This makes it more easily digestible & lets the kale soak up all the flavor).
- Mix eggs together and add to kale.
- Pour egg mix over cooked potato and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of organic spinach with hot sauce, fruit, or your favorite type of Dave’s Killer Bread 🙂